Recipe Contest Winners
Barbara’s Filet Mignon with Mushroom Gorgonzola Sauce
by Barbara Motta
- 4 1.5″ Thick USDA Prime Filet Mignons
- 1 tsp Coarse Sea Salt -plus more for seasoning mushrooms
- 1 tsp Coarse Fresh Ground Black Pepper-plus more for seasoning mushrooms
- 3 TBS Olive Oil
- 2 TBS Butter
- 12oz Half and Half
- 2 10oz Pkg Baby Bella Mushrooms sliced or quartered (baby Portabella mushrooms)
- 8 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 4 oz Crumbled Gorgonzola
- 3 oz Non flavored Brandy or Cognac
Season filets generously with sea salt and pepper. Sear over high heat 3-5 minutes per side until cooked rare on the inside. Tent with foil until ready to serve.
Saute baby Bellas in butter and olive oil over medium heat. Saute 5-6 minutes, you want
them to remain firm.
Slowly pour in Brandy or Cognac and carefully ignite. When flames die down, lower heat
and pour in cream until it just covers the mushrooms. If pan is too hot, remove from heat for a minute or two. Season with salt, pepper and fresh thyme leaves. Add in lemon juice and crumbled gorgonzola cheese. Simmer to incorporate flavors. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Spoon mushrooms onto individual serving plates, slice filets and place slices atop mushrooms
Serve with mashed potatoes and a crisp green salad
Healthy Steak Kabobs
by Diane Kittelstad
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grain Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- For the kebabs:
- 1 pound boneless beef round tip steak, cut 1 inch thick and in 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut in 3/4-inch wedges
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 8 bamboo skewers (9 inches long)
COMBINE marinade ingredients in small bowl. PLACE beef in a food-safe sealable plastic bag. Pour in marinade, close bag securely, and invert a few times to coat beef well.
REFRIGERATE for 6 to 8 hours, turning over bag occasionally. SOAK bamboo skewers in water for 10 minutes (this will keep them from burning on the grill); drain.
REMOVE beef from marinade; discard liquid. Thread beef, onion, squash, and bell pepper in an alternating pattern onto skewers.
PLACE kebabs on grill over medium-hot, ash-covered coals: for gas grills, set on medium heat. Cook uncovered (4 to 4 1/2 minutes each side for medium)
Serve with whole-grain rice.
BBQ London Broil
by Tom McCoy
- Prepare London Broil by placing in a large plastic bag.
- Rub Garlic Powder onto both sides.
- Add 3/4 can of Coca Cola, 4 OZ of Soy Sauce.
- Make sure both sides get exposed to the liquid.
- Place bag in fridge overnight and turn as best you can every so often.
- Cook on BBQ to your liking.